- Migrant Centre Organisation - Legal referral, migration & settlement issues and VISA advice. Mediation and conflict resolution. Translation, interpreting, counselling and consumer issues. By appointment Mon to Fri 9:00am to 4:00pm. Phone: 07 55917261 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org migrantcentre.org
- Multicultural Communities Council Gold Coast (MCCGC) -mccgc.com.au Provides services to meet the needs of the culturally and linguistically diverse communities. Includes referral, advocacy and advice. Mon to Fri 9:00am to 5:00pm. Address: 1 Dominions Road, ASHMORE Phone: 07 5527 8011 Email: email@example.com
- Multicultural Families Organisation (MFO) - Provides services to multicultural women and their families. Settlement services, consultations, Immigration matters, Centrelink support, counselling, document clinic, English classes & social activities. Mum's group and SARA program. Mon to Thurs 9:00am to 4:00pm & Fri 9:00am to 2:00pm. Address: 47 Scarborough Street, SOUTHPORT Phone: 07 5571 0381 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org mfo.org.au
- Refugee and Immigration Legal Service - Legal advice, assistance for CALD clients. Call 07 3846 9300
- Telephone Translating Interpreting Service Australia Wide 131 450
- PFLAG (Parents and friends of Lesbian & Gay) - PFLAG is a peer support group that assist families and friends understand their LGBTIQ loved ones. Call 0400 767 832 pflagbrisbane.org.au
- QSPACE - drop in centre specifically for young people (13-17 year olds). They support sexually, sex and gender diverse youth (inclusive of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Intersex, Queer, Questioning, Asexual, Pansexual). Scarborough Street, SOUTHPORT (07) 5569 1826 161 0437013710 http://qspace.net.au/
- QuAC – Healthy Communities program works with LGBTIQ people to improve their health and wellbeing. Some programs work across the entire community (eg mental health, ageing, CALD) or with specific groups and identities within the community (lesbian health, trans* health, intersex health etc). qahc.org.au/healthy-communities 1800 177 434 (Freecall)
State wide services
- LGBTI Legal Service - The LGBTI Legal Service offers free and confidential legal advice to Queensland residents who identify as members of the diverse lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex community. Consultations are held in-person at our Fortitude Valley office, via telephone or via videoconference for clients who live outside of Brisbane. To ensure a solicitor who specialises in your type of legal issue is available, please telephone Client Services on (07) 3124 7160 to book an appointment.
- Open Doors Youth Service - Open Doors Youth Service provides support to young people with diverse genders, sex and sexualities. We support young people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Asexual, Pansexual, Sistergirl or Brotherboy (LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl & Brotherboy) aged 12-24 across South East Queensland. Open Doors Youth Service 5 Green Square Cl, Fortitude Valley 4006 Call (07) 3257 7660; Email email@example.com; opendoors.net.au
- Another Closet - Domestic & Family Violence and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer People (LGBTIQ). Another Closet provides information for people in LGBTIQ relationships who are, or may be, experiencing domestic and family violence. http://ssdv.acon.org.au/
- QLife 1800 184 527 - QLife is a counselling and referral service for people of diverse sex, genders and sexualities. QLife provides nation-wide early intervention, peer supported telephone and web based services to support Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people of all ages. Phone and online chat available 3.00pm to 12.00 midnight every day. https://qlife.org.au/
- Carers Queensland - Provide information, support and advocacy regarding accessing National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). NDIS Local Area Coordinators. Ground Floor, Suite 10-12 Currumburra Road, ASHMORE (enter via Green Glen Road), 07 5671 7600
- Gold Coast Advocacy Inc. - Independent community based advocacy organisation. 56 Scarborough Street, SOUTHPORT 07 5564 0355
- Gold Coast Housing Association - Long term community housing provider for people with a disability or family member with a disability. Tues to Thurs 9:30am to 3:30pm. 16 Railway Street, SOUTHPORT 07 5591 2706
State wide services
- Queenslanders with Disabilities (QDN) - state wide organisation of, for, and with people with disability connecting for collective and affirmative action. It is a self-advocacy organisation. Ph: 07 3252 8566 or 1300 363 783; Address: 338 turbot St. Spring Hill; Website: qdn.org.au
- NDIS 1800 800 110 - National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provide people with disability with information and connection to services https://www.ndis.gov.au; https://www.ndis.gov.au/applying-access-ndis/how-apply
- People with Disability Australia (PWDA) - advocacy services around Australia, including in Queensland: Logan, Sunshine Coast, Frazer Coast, Bundaberg, Mount Isa, and the Lower Gulf Communities. Call the above number for referrals. Currently assisting with NDIS appeals. Ph.1800 422 015 or pwd.org.au
QLD Health Acute Care Team – Advice Referrals Crisis Support. Mental Health services for people over 18 years old. Assessment and referral services for people who experience serious mental health problems
State wide services
- QLD Health Acute Care Team – Advice Referrals Crisis Support. Mental Health services for people over 18 years old. Assessment and referral services for people who experience serious mental health problems
- Lifeline is a national charity open to all Australians in a personal crisis. They have 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services - call them on 13 11 14.
- Headspace is the national youth mental health foundation. They can help young people who are doing through a tough time. Call them on 1800 650 890.
- Beyond Blue is a national non-profit organisation working to address issues associated with depression, suicide, anxiety disorders and other related mental disorders. Call them on 1300 224 636 - 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is also online chats, forums and email support available.
- Kids Helpline is Australia's only free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25. Call them on 1800 55 1800 or webchat with a counsellor or email a counsellor.
- MensLine Australia is a telephone and online counselling service for men with emotional health and relationship concerns. Call 1300 78 99 78 for 24 hour support.
- Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence - Specialist sexual violence intervention and prevention service. Provides counselling to women who have been raped and/or sexually assaulted at any time in their lives. 07 5591 1164 stopsexualviolence.com
- Gold Coast Sexual Health Clinic - Provides free and confidential sexual health services, testing and treatment. No Medicare card required. Available to all. Mon to Thurs 8:00am to 7:00pm & Fri 8:00am to 4:30pm. 2019 Gold Coast Highway, MIAMI 07 5576 9033
- Act for Kids – Sexual Abuse Counselling Service. Counselling, psychoeducation and protective behaviours for children and parents impacted by sexual abuse. Service provided in the home. Intake Enquires – 07 5656 8600
- Bravehearts - Counselling for children and young people suffering from child sexual assault up to 17 years. Free support for non-offending family members, friends or carers. ASHMORE 1800 272 831 bravehearts.org.au
State wide services
- Victim Assist Queensland 1300 546 587 - Assisting in the recovery of victims of crime who have been injured as a result of an act of violence through provision of financial assistance
- Women's Legal Service - Community Legal Centre that provides free legal advice and information to women in Queensland. Statewide helpline: 1800 957 957 (Mon-Fri 9am-3pm) Rural, Regional and Remote Line: 1800 457 117 (Tues 9:30am-1:30pm)
- Gold Coast Project for Homeless Youth - Accommodation and support options for young people 16-25 years who are homeless or at risk of homelessness homelessyouth.com.au Call Admin 07 5591 3746 – Mon to Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Ozcare - Gold Coast Family Accommodation Support Service - Short-term crisis accommodation for families homeless or at risk of homelessness. Call daily for vacancies and further information 3 Frinton Street, SOUTHPORT 07 5519 0323 ozcare.org.au
State wide services
- Homeless Persons Information Queensland (HPIQ) 1800 474 753 (1800 HPIQLD) - Provides information about where to find support, accommodation, meals or showers. Services for single people over 16, mothers with children, fathers with children, families, couples, those experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness.
- Oneplace - Find help near you. Search over 53,000 Queensland family community services at oneplace. oneplace lists everything you need, from emergency relief to domestic and family violence support services.
- Homeless hotline – statewide phone information and referral service for people who are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of homelessness. Call 1800 474 753
- Tenants Queensland
Phone: 1300 744 263
- Residential Tenancies Authority
Phone: 1800 497 161 or 1300 366 311
- DV Connect Womensline - 1800 811 811
Telephone hotline for women, their children and pets experiencing domestic and family violence. Womensline offers emergency transport and accommodation as well as crisis counselling and interventions.
- Ask Izzy is a mobile website connecting people who are in crisis with the services they need right now and nearby, including housing and homeless support.
- The Deck is a resource hub for the housing and homelessness sector.
Support and treatment services
- Alcohol & Drug Information Service (24/7)
Phone: 1800 177 833
- Gold Coast Drug Council
Phone: (07) 5535 4302
- Gold Coast Hospital Accident & Emergency
Phone: 1300 744 284
- Robina Hospital Accident & Emergency
Phone: (07) 5668 6000
- Drug Arm
Phone: 1300 656 800
Website: Alcohol and other drug services | The Salvation Army Australia
Phone: (07) 5630 7939
- Logan House
Phone: (07) 5546 3900
Phone: (07) 5503 1255
Phone: (02) 6687 1111
Harming or threatening to harm or kill pets is often a tactic used by perpetrators of domestic and family violence. The abuser does this to frighten and control the victim into staying.
When an animal is part of the family, the thought of leaving them behind in an emergency is unimaginable. The decision to leave an abusive relationship is made more difficult when the need to leave is due to escalating or persistent domestic or family violence.
The Pets In Crisis program, a collaboration between DVConnect and the RSPCA Queensland, provides safe accommodation, food and vet care to pets whose families have escaped domestic and family violence, but who cannot take them to a shelter/refuge and have no family/friends who can care for their pet while they find safe, alternative accommodation.
State wide services
- Pets In Crisis (DVConnect)
Phone: 1800 811 811