CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE'S COUNSELLING
The Domestic Violence Prevention Centre provides counselling appointments for children and young people from 4 years of age onwards whose mothers are also being supported by the organisation. Counselling can assist children and young people to deal with the damaging effects of domestic violence abuse.
Issues covered in counselling include:
- Safety planning.
- Identifying and understanding what domestic violence is.
- Learning that domestic violence is an adult problem - it is not the child's fault or responsibility.
- Learning that violence is unacceptable behaviour.
- Presentation of alternatives to violence.
- Understanding their feelings and learning ways to express them appropriately.
- Strengthening the relationship between mother and child.
- Building children's self esteem.
A wide variety of creative techniques are used to facilitate children's healing including the extensive use of art materials, sand-tray work, play, role-play and narrative therapy.