The Domestic Violence Prevention Centre provides counselling appointments for children and young people from 4 to 18 years of age. The Children and Young Person’s Advocates are skilled and experienced in working with a diverse range of ages and needs.
A wide variety of creative techniques including the extensive use of art materials, sand-tray work, play, role-play and narrative therapy may be used in the sessions. The focus of the session and the activities are determined by the individuals needs and goals.
Issues covered in counselling may include:
- Safety planning.
- Identifying and understanding what domestic violence is.
- Learning that domestic violence is an adult problem – it is not the child’s fault or responsibility.
- Learning that violence is unacceptable behaviour.
- Presentation of alternatives to violence.
- Understanding their feelings and learning ways to express them appropriately.
- Strengthening the relationship between mother and child.
- Building children’s self-esteem.